Newspaper Industry Statistics and Data
The Power of Newspapers, Print and Digital
People frequently ask us for the latest newspaper industry statistics highlighting readership information and newspaper advertising trends and we are always eager to share the good news. Newspaper industry trends indicate that newspaper readership is robust, and newspaper advertising statistics continue to show that newspapers reach the educated and affluent audience that advertisers want to reach.
Newspaper Readership is Impressive!
The most recent newspaper industry trends confirm that newspapers have a large and loyal base of readers.
- More than158 million U.S. adults, or nearly 7 out of 10, read newspaper media each week.1
- 179.3 million unique visitors each month - a 10% increase in adult unique visitors year over year, which is double the growth rate for the Internet overall (5%).1
- 58% of adults aged 18-34, and more than 7 in 10 adults aged 35+, read a newspaper.1
- 74% of households with income above $100K are newspaper readers.1
- 89 million adults access newspaper content on their smartphone or tablet1
Newspaper Advertising Makes the Cash Register Ring
Newspaper advertising trends indicate that newspapers are THE place to invest your advertising dollars! Newspapers and their integrated products reach an educated and affluent audience who are avid shoppers. Check out these newspaper advertising statistics.
- Nine out of ten newspaper readers (91%) report that they take action after reading or looking at inserts.2
- Eight in ten (79%) of newspaper readers took action as a result of reading a newspaper ad in the past 30 days3
- Seven in ten adults 18 and older cite the newspaper as their preferred source for coupons3
- 82% of all consumers use the print coupons they receive in the newspaper4
- Consumers find newspapers the best medium for bringing sales to their attention3
- Advertising in Newspapers Cause Readers to Act: The Top 10 Consumer Actions Taken5
- Gather more information about the product or service
- Visit the advertiser’s website
- Have a more favorable opinion about the advertiser
- Save the ad for future reference
- Recommend the product or service to someone
- Pass along the ad to someone
- Ask someone about the product or service
- Consider purchasing the product or service
- Visit a store, dealer or other location
- Search online for the product or service
Sources: 1NAA 9 Quick Facts about Newspaper Media, 2Coda/Triad Newspaper Insert Study, 3NAA How America Shops and Spends, 42K16 Valassis Coupon Intelligence Report, 5Triad Newspaper Ad Effectiveness Service